Sunday, September 29, 2002
dannyboy 11:46 AM
Friday, September 27, 2002
dannyboy 9:58 PM
ok! i've been crossing items off the list of things i want to do in new york before i leave for good (which is coming up much too quickly). playing tour guide for the Lor-ster has made me realize just how much there is that you can't get anywhere else--which is only adding to my sense of "why am i leaving when i'm just getting to know the place?" nevertheless, i'm happy to be making a fresh start. soooo, i'm taking suggestions for additions to my list...
dannyboy 6:45 PM
when lori met pastrami
Tuesday, September 24, 2002
dannyboy 7:07 PM
oh, and looks like eddie survived* his visit to machu pichu, and is now at home, already planning his next trip(s)... and he wants my mom to go with him to vietnam in november. personally, i think he should stop bothering my poor mother and start trying to find a job. (because i should talk...)
*barely. you'll have to ask him for the details, but his feeling is, if the horse knocks you down, you should get right back up and onto a bigger horse. where bigger horse = K2. riiight.
dannyboy 6:59 PM
bernie, taking his time
did i mention i'm afraid of heights?
some pointy thing on 34th st.
Saturday, September 21, 2002
dannyboy 9:15 AM
looks like the word for the night was... euphoric. (and thus, you may not be seeing an update from me for about a week...)
Thursday, September 19, 2002
dannyboy 6:39 PM
dannyboy 10:31 AM
hello unemployment, my good friend... (i don't miss the work, but already i miss the people.)
Tuesday, September 17, 2002
dannyboy 4:34 PM
you college kids don't know how good you've got it. going to bars on a tuesday night. having time for personal dramas. the ability to stay in bed, at a whim. bah! as for work life, tomorrow is my last day! strangely, i'm going to miss it... and not, at the same time. the last year has gone by in a blur. i also feel like i'm not ready to move just yet, but i suppose that will always be the case.
so how's everyone doing with their homework assignment of finding a job for me in california?
Monday, September 16, 2002
dannyboy 7:52 PM
i don't know what made me think television, fox in particular, would be anything but an complete waste of my time. i got snookered into watching a live special about the opening of a sealed room inside one of the pyramids. two hours later, they drill through a door to find... another door. i hate you so much, national geographic.
dannyboy 9:24 AM
D: do you want to order lunch today?
J: no, i have to save my money.
J: i spent a lot this weekend.
D: on what?
J: sea urchin.
J: the waiter talked me into it.
D: what part of a sea urchin do you eat?
J: the middle.
Sunday, September 15, 2002
moxy 7:50 PM
Holy leaping Lego, Batman! Some people have too much time on their hands.
Monday = back to work, back to school. While you handle the cover letters and resumes Dan, I start another week of classes. College life... do you miss it?
Friday, September 13, 2002
dannyboy 12:34 PM
last night i dreamed i was michael jackson. or rather, a michael jackson clone, one of hundreds. my eyelashes were each long feathers, which made my eyes itch. i woke up at 3 am rubbing my eyes. stupid allergies.
Wednesday, September 11, 2002
dannyboy 2:33 PM
for the past year i've actively avoided the media, stopped reading the paper, and ignored everything that's been written or said about sept. 11th. this makes it very difficult to do so.
i last chatted with her a year and a half ago, when we were both finishing up our last semester of school. unreal.
Saturday, September 07, 2002
dannyboy 10:43 AM
Friday, September 06, 2002
dannyboy 7:47 AM
rrrrghgghrRgh! i'm tired of having to read cover letters from "very sharp and creative go-getters" who are "terribly excited" at the prospect of joining my my company, because "they enjoy all kinds of challenges, as nothing is impossible." if i wanted to read that swill, i would open all the penile-enhancement spam i get! my pen is plenty mighty, thank you.
Thursday, September 05, 2002
dannyboy 4:34 PM
i've been going over resumes for my replacement, and it's been a tremendously enlightening activity, particularly as I will soon be a job applicant myself. here are some highlights:
1. the job market is very competitive. in 6 hours, i got 100 resumes. the first response, got to me 5 minutes after the job was posted on the web.
2. you'd think this would be very discouraging, but after i started looking through the pile, i wasn't worried at all about finding a new job. all of a sudden, it started making sense why the companies i have already interviewed with were telling me i was one callback out of a dozen, from hundreds of applicants.
3. if you want to be someone's graphic designer, you really ought to learn how to spell "desinger."
4. if you want to be someone's graphic designer, you really, really, ought to care about what your resume looks like.
5. your objective statement should not be so depressing as to make me want to cry.
6. it will behoove you to follow instructions precisely. if the company explicitly asks that you attach a pdf of your resume, it will only make the person reviewing your submission VERY ANGRY when you only provide a link to a pdf, or attach a word document, or paste it as text in the body of the e-mail, or attach jpegs, or my personal favorite: somehow manage to make a one page resume set in 12pt times take up FOUR MEGABYTES. SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!
7. do not reply with the subject line "I'M YER GUY" unless you can back that up with serious documentation.
8. 100+ a day isn't actually a lot, if you're disqualifying 90% of those resumes at a glance (see previous points).
god, i could write a book on this. It's nice to be on the other side of the table, though. honestly, i didn't know whether to laugh or cry today. i just sort of whimpered.
Malb 7:48 AM
dude, you're gonna be so poor living out there. it's gonna like college all over again, eating out of cans and stuff!!
dannyboy 7:01 AM
i gave notice at my job yesterday (and already food tastes better, the air seems fresher...). people have now been asking "so you were actually serious when you said you're moving to san francisco?"
yes. now help me find a job, fool.
Tuesday, September 03, 2002
dannyboy 7:25 PM
best music video ever, by the best name for a band ever, featuring the best game ever. RAWK!
Monday, September 02, 2002
dannyboy 3:49 PM
"want pie now! when come back bring pie. wanker."
Sunday, September 01, 2002
dannyboy 12:04 AM
i found out tonight that edddie = a nielsen family! and has been since february. this explains much, about television, and why i hate it so. for example, tonight he and i watched (by ourselves) the china vs. usa game. but nielsen is going to to receive data for 4 members of an asian-american family (ages 25, 19, 45 and 50), plus two 23 year old guests, who really really like FIBA basketball, the Cosby Show, and history channel specials about Edward the 1st, in that order.